Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bittersweet surrender

Finals time always comes with a “let me be done!” attitude. The end of finals always signals the end of yet another semester, but this time I’m approaching finals with slight hesitation because this time they’re signaling the end of my study abroad. So, unlike most other finals which finish in relief and sleep deprivation, this finals week is coming to a very bittersweet end. I have one test left, a back pack left to pack, and itineraries and e-tickets to print out, but then I am off on 18 days of Euro-adventure round II. But, it also means that in less than 3 days, I will be saying good bye to the city that has become my home and the friends who have become my family in the past 4 months. Exciting? Yes. Sad? Yes…as I said: bittersweet.

So, now every time the desperate thoughts of “let me be done!” run through my brain, they are accompanied by “how is it this time already?!?” I will be cliché and say that it feels like yesterday that I was sitting anxiously on the plane, imagining how the semester would turn out. Well, I feel it is safe to say that there is no way I could have anticipated everything that has happened this semester:

I ate dinner in a castle; went running in Venice during a storm; spent a night bar hopping with professional handball players; and drove a car in Italy. I practiced my Spanish (but butchered everything else); mastered hostelworld.com and every budget airline site; waded through flooded Venice; and napped at the Eiffel tower. I had a bonfire at the Monterosso beach; tried grappa and lemoncello; drank beer with my Danish teachers; and had lectures at Oxford and the London School of Economics. I learned words like hygge and jordbær, conquered the metros of Paris, Barcelona, Copenhagen, London; went on bar crawls, pub crawls, wine crawls, and coffee crawls; went to Ukrainian and Danish birthday parties; and shot a hand gun. I had a Valentine’s Day scavenger hunt; got a Danish haircut; went to a funk show in Christiania and had Palm Sunday mass in Italy. I watched a basketball game in Kiev; got a rose from a polite Venetian; learned how to cook everything with oil, garlic, onions, and peppers; and celebrated 4 birthdays in one Skinderpalooza. I planned an impromptu trip to Amsterdam; had my first oral exam that wasn’t in a language class; went to a presentation about Barbie; and got very familiar with shopping in Copenhagen.

I went places I never heard of; did things I had always wanted to do; and made friends I will never forget. And while my friends are all counting down the hours until they are on their way back to our country where things are open 24/7, drinking laws are strict, and convenience is key, I still have 3 more weeks of adventuring. This means many more people, pictures, blogs, stories, mishaps and memories to be had…and although I’m tired and yearning for some peanut m&ms and a chipotle burrito, I’ll dry my eyes, wave good bye, and say hello to the next great trek.

36 comments:

lynn said...

I'm going to miss your blogs. You are such a brilliant writer. Lynn

Shelby said...

Don't worry, there will be plenty more to come...I'm sure I will go on another big trip very soon.

EmmieJDriskell said...

成人色情小?成人色情影片成人色情影片0951成人色情影片線上觀賞下載成人色情影片播放下載成人色情免費小遊戲成人色情免費網站成人色情免費網成人色情a片成人色情片成人色情狂影片成人色情由細區成人色情站成人色情網成人色情遊戲成人色情電話成人色情電影成人色情露點貼圖成人色情論壇成人色情貼圖成人色情貼圖片成人色情貼圖綱成人色情貼圖網站成人色情貼圖dvd成人色情影集成人色情故事成人色情文學打手槍色情短片找線上色情直播影片找色情聊天室摸摸耳18禁色情遊戲摸摸耳色情摸摸耳色情遊戲撥打色情電話播放色情電影日本av女優色情貼圖網日本av女優色情圖片日本av女優色情影片日本美女色情片日本色情

腰痠 said...

blog不錯唷~我會常常來看的~加油~!! .........................

陽明山花季 said...

Actions speak louder than words. ........................................

火吟 said...

thank for share, it is very important . ̄︿ ̄..................................................

于名于名 said...

It's great!!..................................................

雅琳雅琳 said...

I do like ur article~!!!...................................................

A22laynaGainer1104 said...

鬼故事~美人劫
美人劫-下
美人劫-中
美人劫-上

G702aynelleKress0 said...

希望能常常看到你的更新 .........................................

BlancaMcleroy1230 said...

85cc片觀看,77美女dvd影片,熊貓貼區,ut網際聊天,一葉情,av,嘟嘟,影音live秀,a片,做愛影片,視訊做愛,美女短片,78論壇,ut聊天,打飛機,a片,免費視訊,免費視訊,成人影院,性愛小說,辣妹視訊,網路交友,捷克論壇,h影片,色咪咪,免費影片85cc,kiss911,後宮,a片,影音視訊聊天,交友,免費聊天,聊天室交友,做愛影片,線上a片,美女影片,免費影片下載,免費聊天室,視訊做愛,美女視訊聊天

淑娟 said...

I love readding, and thanks for your artical...................................................

嘉琬 said...

越來越多人看你的部落格 要繼續加油喔 ....................................................

MyrleBal詩婷 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。.........................

健豪 said...

北台灣視訊aio34c正妹 69成人網 080視訊聊天室iww 線上免費看成人片 百分百成人圖片 辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室 視訊交友551281 kk 視訊聊天室 免費a片 sex-情色視訊 夜未眠成人影城 視訊聊天網 aaa片免費看短片 正妹交友go uouo 視訊聊天交友 hi5 tv免費影片 av女優王國 546視訊聊天室 免費影音視訊聊天室 ut 視訊聊天室 sex story,辣妹影片直播 hilive成人情色網 線上a長片 美眉脫內衣影片 sex888入口aio甜心寶貝直播貼片 彩虹免費av影片 亞洲東洋視訊辣妹影片 視訊交友網fm358 love104 影音城 qk999成人論壇 免費視訊gogo 拓網學生族視訊777美女 免費成人影片sex,av女優 a 免費影片觀賞 免費視訊topchurch 免費線上 aa 片試看85CC 高雄援交本土自拍天堂 成人視訊elove 臺灣情色網hilive tv 546 視訊聊天室 線上免費av影片 視訊ggoo xvediox松島楓免費影片 免費聊天室 aa影音視訊聊天室 一對多視訊免費視訊辣妹 j 我愛 78 論壇 免費 a 片 兼職援交 免費a自拍偷拍g世代論壇

祥傑祥傑 said...

you two make a lovely couple............................................................

josema said...

感覺很好的blog,祝你開心喔........................................

rosebarrett94 said...

一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤......................................................................

王邦鈺 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。....................................................................

KrisMcmillen07星美 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

珮陽 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

雅芳 said...

[做人難,人難做,難做人] 人.事的艱困與磨難,是一種考驗!要以樂觀歡喜之心,很珍惜地過每一天!^^..................................................

恩如 said...

今夜星光多美好~祝你快樂~~~~..................................................................

穎翰翁穎翰 said...

來給你加油,幫你推一下喔~期待你的下一個更新,謝謝..................................................................

韋志韋志 said...

你真的很棒~謝謝分享囉~..................................................................

林秋萍林秋萍 said...

培養健全孩子最好的方法是父母先成為健全的人。............................................................

潘凱花潘凱花 said...

厚 !!!等了好久的更新~~一定要支持的啦(ΘωΘ)......................................................

盈廖生家秀蔡 said...

一個人的快樂,不是因為他擁有的多,而是他計較的少。..................................................

吳淑芬吳淑芬 said...

良好的開端,已是成功的一半。..................................................

曹初帆張武茜 said...

一時的錯誤不算什麼,錯而不改才是一生中永遠且最大的錯誤..................................................

吳林怡廷佳宇 said...

男女互悅,未必廝守終生,相愛就是美的。.................................................................

家唐銘 said...

It is easier to get than to keep it.......................................................................

偉曹琬 said...

Judge not of men and things at first sight................................................

偉曹琬 said...

希望能常常看到你的更新............................................................

黃智樺黃智樺 said...

上來打聲招呼,祝你一切平安!............................................................

1615 said...

耐斯的部落格值得推蔫!..................................................................